The South African Communist Party (SACP) says it wants all who funded the campaigners at the ANC’s Nasrec elective conference in 2017.
The SACP called on the ANC to request all those who campaigned to reveal who financially contributed to their campaigns.
“The SACP resolutely rejects being drawn into a one-sided focus on the fundraising details of the leadership contest associated with the last conference of the ANC,” it said on Monday.
“It would be appropriate for the ANC members and the public at large to receive a full disclosure of the sources of all the funds that were donated, received and used in the course of the contest, regardless of candidates involved.”
President Cyril Ramaphosa ran a successful campaign against Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma while David Mabuza defeated Lindiwe Sisulu for the deputy president position.
Financial information and transactions related to Ramaphosa’s campaign were leaked last week revealing who donated and allegedly benefited from the CR17 campaign.
The SACP believes it would be in the ANC’s interests “to consider regulating funding for internal leadership campaigns as strongly argued by the president himself prior to and at the last NEC [national executive committee] meeting”.
“The issues of party funding both for individuals and their parties must be comprehensively addressed by parliament…”