As the number of COVID- 19 cases rise in Gauteng, the Health Department in the province has put stringent measures in place to deal with the spread of the coronavirus pandemic.
These measures which would apply to health facilities follow the declaration of a national state of disaster by President Cyril Ramaphosa last week Sunday.
Kwara Kekana, spokeswoman for the Gauteng Department of Health told Gauteng News the following additional measures would apply at all heath facilities.
• All elective surgeries are to be cancelled. ( these are surgeries that are planned in advance rather than those done in an emergency situation ).
• Elective surgery with planned high care should be rescheduled to maintain surgical capacity.
• All annual health events are cancelled.
• The Out Patient Department will reduce the number of patient visits by using the appointment system.
• A separate area for patients with flu- like symptoms to be identified in all facilities.
• Thuthuzela Health Care Centre services to be extended beyond providing forensic services.
• Increase the number of chronic patients to be linked with Centralized Chronic Medical Dispensing and Distribution, and patients to be provided with three months of supply of medication and repeat script for six months.
• Patients will also be encouraged to use Pele boxes for collection of medication.
“We wish to remind the public of the restrictions imposed on visiting hours in facilities. Only two people per patient will be allowed with one person per patient for no more than 15 minutes “, said Kekana.