Gauteng News
News

Masuku welcomes Cuban doctors to combat COVID-19 in Gauteng

More than 20 Cuban doctors were officially welcomed to the Gauteng province to assist in fighting Coronavirus by Gauteng MEC for Health Bandile Masuku. The doctors were welcomed after finishing their quarantine time on Saturday. This follows an arrival of more than 200 Cuban Medical Brigade doctors in South Africa last month. 

“In the time that you will spend in Gauteng, we hope that you will also be open to learning a bit about our culture and way of life.” said Masuku.

He said that the medics will be deployed to districts such as Ekurhuleni, Tshwane and other district that have been identified as high-risk Covid-19 areas.

“We have changed gear and that is where we are going to use the experience of the Cuban Medical Brigade because we are going into our communities doing a door-to-door and a ward-based approach in terms of the strategy,” said Masuku. 

Masuku stressed that the intervention of the medics will play a major role in creating a sustainable healthcare system.

“This is what we think will be the backbone of our National Health Insurance because what we are hoping to achieve and build beyond this is a primary healthcare system that will be able to create a sustainable healthcare system going forward.

He stated that the pandemic had created a good opportunity to fast-track reforms in the health sector, with a priority to improving patients care.

“The department’s priorities are about improving the patient experience of care in our facilities in making sure that our staff are highly motivated, taken care of. We are making sure they have their basic tools of trade. Happy doctors and nurses will produce a happy patient, said Masuku.

Related posts

Call for more investment into social housing projects

Staff Writer

Four more airports to operate under level 2

Staff Writer

MEC Bandile Masuku appoints new hospital CEO’s

Sne Mthabela