Two police members implicated in the alleged shooting of 16-year-old Nathaniel Julius have been arrested. The arrested suspects are expected to appear in Protea Magistrate court in Soweto today. This was confirmed by the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) on Friday.
The disabled teenager was shot on Wednesday and was allegedly dumped at Chris Hani-Baragwanath Academic Hospital where he died. The Police had claimed he was caught between shooting with officers and alleged gangsters. However, his family and the community said the police’s account of what happened to the teenager was not true.
Ipid spokesperson Ndileka Cola said that the police watchdog had taken the decision on “careful consideration of the evidence at hand”.
“The pair will be charged with murder and possibly defeating the ends of justice. The two South African Police Service members are attached to the Eldorado Park crime prevention unit. Further details regarding the case will only be made available once the pair have appeared in Protea Magistrate’s Court,” Cola said.
Earlier on Friday, Police Minister Bheki Cele visited Eldorado Park, where he met the family of the deceased teenager. He was confronted by angry members of the community.
The protesters chanted slogans and demanded the release of four community leaders who were arrested on Thursday and charged with public violence. Their arrest follows the violent protests between the angry community and the police.
President Cyril Ramaphosa also sent his condolences to the family on Friday.
“My thoughts and prayers are with the family and neighbours of Nathaniel who has, as a 16-year-old, been deprived of a future and whose tragic death has given rise to anger and unrest in a community that deserves better,” said the president.