Gauteng News
News

Gauteng Social Development wins court battle against illegal children’s centre

The battle against the illegal Kingdom Life Youth Care Centre has ruled in favour of the Gauteng Department of Social Development on Wednesday by the Atteridgeville Children’s court.

The court asked for minors to be removed from the centre and be placed at various children’s homes and youth care centres in the area.

The children’s court found that the Kingdom Life Youth Care Centre was at fault for failing to renew its registration. It also found that children at the centre were being placed without any prescribed registration. The Department feels very vindicated after years of vilification by the centre on various media platforms accusing the department of interference. The matter has been in the courts for few years now. The department took the Kingdom Life Care Centre to court after it failed to register as a Child and Youth Care (CYCC) and for non-compliance.

The Kingdom Life Youth Care Centre was previously registered as a CYCC, but due to non-compliance the facility was de-registered and granted a conditional registration which expired at the end of September 2018. Attempts by the departmental social workers to remove children at the centre were unsuccessful as the management and board refused to co-operate and the centre continued to put the lives of the children at risk.

The Department is reiterating its resolve that it will stop at nothing to ensure compliance and that those who violate the rules will not go unpunished, including non-compliant NPOs.

Departmental head Ms Thembeni Mhlongo has welcomed the court’s decision and said this was in the best interest of children and she further said this will send a strong message that government cannot stand by and watch NPOs contravene the law.

“Bana Pele is one of our flagship programs in Gauteng and we will not compromise. The department remains committed to supporting the NPO sector, however the sector must also respect the laws of the country and we hope that the judgment will also send a strong message to other NPOs that are not compliant. We are always willing to assist with getting NPOs to be compliant but if all fails, we will close the facilities as they will pose risks to the most vulnerable groups, which our department is mandated to protect”, said Mhlongo.

Related posts

Sbusiso Radebe to be laid to rest in Soweto

Palesa Mohlamme

Duduzani to learn his fate on July 12

Lungako Magida

Gauteng health calls scammed jobseekers to assist with investigation

Thembi Rowen Siaga